YVONNE MELCHERS curriculum vitae
For an extensive illustrated overview of her work, please see the essay that artist/writer Lorena Kloosterboer published at Medium.com in June 2020:
Yvonne Melchers (born in Haarlem, The Netherlands) studied at the Rietveld Art Academy in Amsterdam, but had to leave after one year on account of other obligations. She always continued to draw and paint next to her work at the Amsterdam Office of Iberia Airlines and at the Academic Hospital in Amsterdam. In 2009 she could quit her job at the hospital and from then on she has painted full-time. Apart from the one year at the Art Academy and some short courses she is self-taught. Her work is realistic-figurative, with a strong preference for oil paint. Generally using the paint straight from the tube and using mostly bristle brushes she has developed her own impasto technique where the brush strokes are clearly visible. For all of her work in oil she uses a very limited palette, the "colours of Monet", which are five colours besides the whites.
Through the years her main themes have been the Dutch coasts with their cool light and the warm Italian life in all it's aspects. The Rooms with a View are predominantly situated in Italy. Since 2013 she has been working on a series Siena Palio Portraits, which are portraits of modern Italian men and boys who - wearing wigs and historical costumes - take part in the Historical Procession, the Corteo Storico, that precedes the Siena Palio, the famous horse race, that takes place twice a year (more information about the Siena Palio can be found on www.ilpalio.org). She has also made a small series of Still lifes and every now and then she likes to paint a commissioned portrait or other subject. Since 2001 she has been working in The Netherlands and in Italy (Siena) alternately, but from April 2012 she remains in The Netherlands, living and working in the Amsterdam area.
In 2013 she has been made a member of the Group of Contemporary Dutch Masters of realistic and figurative art that exhibit at the Museum Møhlmann in Appingedam (Northern Netherlands) at least once a year.
Invitation from this gallery in Zaragoza/Spain to participate in the exhibition celebrating the 20th anniversary "20 Años en 20x20" of this gallery in 2019. This traveling exhibition, in which 200 of the best contemporary realist painters in the world participate, consists of small works of 20x20 cm. and was held at Palazzo Bantierra in Zaragoza and at the MEAM Museum in Barlona in 2019. In March 2020 a third exhibition was planned in Italy, but was postponed due to the Corona crisis and will probably be held in 2021.
Galleries and Museums
Besides at the Museum Møhlmann her work is/was exhibited at Gallery Rijlaarsdam in Nieuwkoop, Gallery De Vreugd & Hendriks in Zandvoort, Gallery Lauswolt in Olterterp, Gallery Bonnard in Nuenen, Gallery Staphorsius in Westzaan, Gallery Montulet in The Hague and Gouda, Gallery Pictura in Aijen, Gallery Terbeek in Beetsterzwaag, all in the Netherlands, and at Galería ArteLibre in Zaragoza/Spain, Abend Gallery in Denver/Colorado and the Museum MEAM in Barcelona/Spain.
Her painting Room 32/Venetian Summer was selected for participation in ZomerExpo 2012 (Summer Exhibition 2012) in the Gemeentemuseum (Municipal Museum) in The Hague.
On Artsy.net, the large and succesful international virtual art website, some of her works are exhibited and for sale through Abend Gallery in Denver and 33Contemporary Gallery in Chicago.
BP Portrait Award
The portraits Siena Palio III (Istrice) and Siena Palio XI (Torre) from the series Siena Palio Portraits were semi-finalists in 2015 and in 2018 respectively in the prestigious BP Portrait Award competition of the National Portrait Gallery in London.
Figurativas Museum MEAM Barcelona
The paintings The Shell Seekers/North Sea Blues and Dutch Delight III/North Sea Blues from the series The North Sea were selected in 2017 and 2019 respectively as semi-finalists of Figurativas, one of the greatest international competitions for contemporary realistic/figurative art. The competition is organized every two years by the Museo Europeo d’Art Modern(MEAM) The names and works of the semi-finalists are published in the accompanying catalogue.
ModPortrait Galería ArteLibre and Museum MEAM
The portraits Siena Palio V (Comune) and Siena Palio XVIII (Tartuca) from the series Siena Palio Portraits were selected as semi-finalists in 2017 and 2020 respectively of this important annual international exhibition on contemporary portraiture. The competition is organized by Galería ArteLibre in collaboration with the MEAM Museum in Barcelona. The names of the semifinalists of 2020 and an image of their work will be featured in the special catalogue ModPortrait 2020.
Art Renewal Center (ARC)
In 2019 the portrait Siena Palio XIII (Nicchio) was finalist in the category Figurative in the 14th International Salon Competition, the largest international competition on contemporary realism (almost 5000 submissions from 80 countries). This portrait was featured in the beautiful accompanying very heavy catalogue.
In 2020 the diptych painting Siena Palio XVI and XVII (Aquila) and the painting Dutch Delight III/North Sea Blues both became semi-finalists in the categories Portraiture and Figurative respectively. The names of the semi-finalists and the images of their works are featured at the website of the ARC
The Dutch Portrait Award
In October 2016 two portraits of her series Siena Palio Portraits were selected and exhibited at the Weekend of the Portrait in Amsterdam, which was organized by the Dutch Portrait Award Foundation.
In 2017 a portrait of her series Siena Palio Portraits was selected semi-finalist for the Dutch Portrait Award.
In June 2019 her (commissioned) portrait "Prof.Dr.M.J. Heineman and Amsterdam" was nominated for The Dutch Portrait Award 2019. This portrait, together with 49 other nominations, was exhibited at the castle Slot Zeist from September 1st through November 17th, 2019.
Numerous publications in Dutch and international art magazines and books, mostly on realistic/fugurative art. Please check her website in the chapter Publications.
On Facebook she has been made member of the artist groups Poets/Artists (US), IBEX Art Insiders, Master Painters and Sculptors of the World (FR), The Representational Art Group (US) and Todays Masters of Fine Art GB). In the Italian Museum of Contemporary Art (IT) a room dedicated to her work - Sala Yvonne Melchers - has been created.
The paintings of Yvonne Melchers have not only been sold in The Netherlands, but can also be found in collections in Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium, France, The United States and Australia.
PRESENT AND FUTURE
- December 5 through Januari 9 2021: 30th Annual Holidays Miniatures Show, Abend Gallery, Denver US
- November 28 through Februari 2021: Winter Warmth Welcome, Galerie Hoeve Rijlaarsdam, Nieuwkoop, The Netherlands (Rooms with a View and Still Lifes)
- October 2 - December 20 2020: Exhibition of Independent Realists (ORT)
- Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam (with five portraits from my Siena Palio Portraits)
- Online Exhibition 2020, Grandmasters of Fine Art, UK
- Permanent: "Tu mejor Pintura"(Your best Painting) Galería ArteLibre Zaragoza/Spanje, virtual Exhibition
- Permanent: ARTSY. NET at 33 Contemporary Gallery, Chicago/USA
- Permanent: ARTSY.NET at ABEND Gallery, Denver/USA
- August 15 through December 31 2020 Ambivalence: Online exhibition curated by Carol Hodes, ARTSY.NET/33 Contemporary Gallery, Chicago/USA
- June 15 through december 31 2020 Shelter: Online exhibition curated by Dr. Samuel Peralta, ARTSY.NET/33 Contemporary Gallery, Chicago/USA
- August 2 - September 27 2020: The 3rd Magnific Miniature Exhibition. Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- May 30 - August 30 2020, Summer Exhibition, Gallery de Vreugd and Hendriks, Zandvoort, The Netherlands
- May 27 - June 30 2020, SMALL WORKS, online exhibition, ABEND Gallery, Denver/USA
- May 9 - June 21 2020: GOOD LOOKING, Portrait Art in Ruurlo, Ruurlo, The Netherlands (postponed due to Corona)
- May 2 - June 5 2020: ArteLibre 20 years in 20x20, 200 masters of contemporary realism. Enaudi Palace, Chivasso (Torino), Italy (postponed due to Corona)
- January 23 - 26 2020: Naarden The Art Fair with Gallery De Vreugd and Hendriks, Grote Kerk, Naarden Vesting, The Netherlands
- 2-23 November 2019: 29th Annual Holiday Miniatures Show ABEND Gallery, Denver/Colorado USA
- September 26 - 29 2019: FINE Art and Antiques Fair with Gallery De Vreugd and Hendriks, Castle Groeneveld, Baarn, The Netherlands
- September 8 2019: Opening Exhibition Gallery De Vreugd and Hendriks, Zandvoort, The Netherlands
- September 22 - December 22 2019: 21st Exhibition of Independent Realists (ORT) Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam
- Juli 12- September 22 2019: 20 Años en 20 x 20, on the occasion of the 20th Anniversary of Galería ArteLibre - Museum MEAM, Barcelona
- June 30- September 1 2019: Small-Smaller-Smallest, Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam/The Netherlands
- March 7- April 5 2019: 20 Años en 20 x 20, on the occasion of the 20th Anniversary of Galería ArteLibre - Edificio Bantierra, Zaragoza
- 3-23 November 2018: 28th Annual Holiday Mniatures Show, ABEND Gallery, Denver/Colorado USA
- 23 September through 23 december 2018: 20th Exhibition of Independent Realists (ORT), Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam/The Netherlands
- 18 May through 24 June 2018: Open House Romee Kanis, Gallery Boot & Steyn, Sint Maartensbrug/The Netherlands
- 3 June through through 6 July 2018: Een Klein Kunstje (A Small Trick), Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam/The Netherlands
- 15 July through 16 September 2018: The Feminine Touch, Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam/The Netherlands
- 17 September through 17 December 2017: 19th Exhibition Independent Realists (ORT), Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam
- 29 July through 10 September 2017: Summer Exhibition, Galerie Lauswolt, Olterterp/The Netherlands
- 2 July through 13 August 2017: Summer Exhibition, Galerie Montulet, Den Haag/The Netherlands
- 19 March through 9 April 2017: Gouda Annual Art Fair (G.A.A.F.)/Primavera, Galerie Montulet, Gouda/The Netherlands
- April 1- July 23 2017: Crazy about Cattle, Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam/The Netherlands
- 18 – 22 January 2017 For Real Fair for Contemporary Figurative Art, Passengers Terminal Amsterdam, Gallery Lauswolt, Olterterp/The Netherlands
- January 14 through March 25 2017: Abraham and the Muse, Gallery Staphorsius, Westzaan/The Netherlands
- December 26 2016 – February 5 2017: Realists 2017, Gallery Bonnard, Nuenen/The Netherlands
- November 12th through December 31st 2016: End of Year Exhibition, Gallery Lauswolt, Olterterp/The Netherlands
- October 28, 29, 30th 2016: Weekend of The Portrait, Loods 6, Amsterdam/The Netherlands, Foundation The Dutch Portrait Prize, Amsterdam/The Netherlands
- September 18th. through October 9th, 2016: Gouda Annual Art Fair (G.A.A.F.)/Autunno, Gallery Montulet, Gouda/The Netherlands
- 18 September – 18 December 2016: 18th Exhibition Independent Realists (ORT), Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- 14 – 17 April 2016: Art Square, Hermitage, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 3 April – 3 July 2016: Birds of the Low Countries, Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- 20 March – 10 April 2016: Gouda Annual Art Fair (G.A.A.F.)/Primavera, Gallery Montulet, Gouda, The Netherlands
- 18 January – 26 February 2016: Yvonne Melchers, solo exhibition, Townhall, Diemen, The Netherlands
- Permanent exhibition of some works of the series Italian Scenes and Rooms with a View, Gallery Bonnard, Nuenen, The Netherlands
- 25 October – 6 December 2015: Pure Realism, Gallery Bonnard, Nuenen, The Netherlands
- 18 October – 31 December 2015: Naturally Nature, Gallery Staphorsius, Westzaan, The Netherlands
- 20 September – 20 December 2015: 17th Exhibition Independent Realists (ORT), Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- 27 – 28 June 2015: Art Round Uitgeest 2015, Oude Regthuys, Uitgeest, The Netherlands
- 20 June – 20 September 2015: Without Haste (stil lifes), Gallery Staphorsius, Westzaan, The Netherlands
- 19 – 26 April 2015: Art & Antiques Fair ‘s-Hertogenbosch, Gallery Terbeek, Rosmalen, The Netherlands
- 5 April – 5 July 2015: Reflection, Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- 19 – 22 March 2015: Affordable Art Fair, Gallery Terbeek, Milaan, Italy
- 20 – 22 February 2015: Pure Exclusive, Framing Studio Peter Schuurmans, Arnhem, The Netherlands
- 7 February 2015 – permanent: Rooms with a View, Galerie Bonnard, Nuenen, The Netherlands
- 22 – 25 January 2015: Art & Antique Weekend, Gallery Terbeek, Naarden Vesting, The Netherlands
- 21 September – 14 December 2014: 16th Exhibition Independent Realists (ORT), Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- 14 September – 1 December 2014: Exhibition 30th anniversary Gallery Bonnard, Gallery Bonnard, Nuenen, The Netherlands
- 15 August – 15 October 2014: Exhibition Pulitzer Hotel/Fransastic Art Gallery, Pulitzer Hotel, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 11 July t/m 7 September 2014: Summer Exhibition ‘On the attic with Rembrandt’, Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- 5 April – 6 July 2014: Looking back in admiration, Museum Møhlmann, Appingedam, The Netherlands
- 6 – 27 October 2013: Rooms with a View and Still Lifes, Gallery Bonnard, Nuenen, The Netherlands
- 28 – 29 September 2013: Annual Dutch Art Fair, World Fashion Centre, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 17 April – 31 August 2013: Retrospective of Heleen, Medical Library, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 8 – 10 March 2013: Art and Living, Dudok Arena, Hilversum, The Netherlands
- 15 June – 19 August 2012: SummerExpo2012, Municipal Museum, The Hague, The Netherlands
- 11 – 13 May 2012: Italy-Event 2012, De Haar Castle, Haarzuilens, The Netherlands
- 12 – 13 November 2011: National Art Days, Oude Kerk, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 30 January 2011: Regional Art Days, Nieuwe Kerk, The Hague, The Netherlands
- 23 December 2010 – 7 January 2011: Exhibition Christmas and New year, Hotel Spa Fonteverde, San Casciano Dei Bagni, Tuscany Italy
- 15 June – 1 December 2010: Exhibition Yvonne Melchers, Framing Studio André Weda, Castricum, The Netherlands
- 4 – 6 June 2010: Italy-Event 2010, De Haar Castle, Haarzuilens, The Netherlands
- 14 – 30 October 2009: Retrospective Yvonne Melchers, Medical Library, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 6 – 22 September 2007: Late Summer, Gallery Prins aan de Gracht, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 15 June – 31 August 2007: Bussana Sensuale, Museo il Cuore di Bussana, Bussana Vecchia, Sanremo Italy
- 2006: Art from the Dept. of Obstetrics and Gynaecoloy, Medical Library, Academic Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2002: Exhibition Yvonne Melchers, Etalages Diemer Advies Groep, Diemen, The Netherlands
- 2001: Exhibition Yvonne Melchers, Etalages Hans Winkel Opticiens, Rokin, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 2001: Exhibition Yvonne Melchers, Metacentrum, Den Haag, The Netherlands